November 20, 2008

The Audience of the Book of Mormon

Recently I was reading in the third chapter of Mormon, verses 17-22 preceeding which Mormon had just refused to lead the wicked Nephites in battle. Instead, he continued to fulfill his call to compile the Book of Mormon and write the things which he saw and the things which God commanded that he should write. Through modern revelation we know that the Book of Mormon was written expressly for us, to the Jew and the Gentile (everyone else) for our benefit and blessing in these latter days.

I know that Mormon saw our day and included in the Book of Mormon those teachings that would directly apply to us and our lives. But, even with that knowledge and understanding, verse 17 jumped out at me. It reads:

Therefore I write unto you, Gentiles, and also unto you, house of Israel ,

And continuing in verses 20-21:

And these things doth the Spirit manifest unto me; therefore I write into you all. And for this cause I write unto you . . . that ye may believe the gospel of Jesus Christ, which ye shall have among you;

These words really hit home. Mormon didn't just compile some good teachings of the ancient prophets, he directly addressed me and all who are on the earth today. This is another witness to me that the Book of Mormon is true and that everything contained in the Book of Mormon is to help us gain stonger testimonies of Jesus Christ and return to our Father in Heaven.

See also:

The title page of the Book of Mormon written by Moroni and the Introduction to the Book of Mormon written by Joseph Smith.

No comments:

Post a Comment