March 10, 2009

The Ministry of Angels

I apologize to the hundreds of you who frequent my blog and get up early Monday morning expressly to read the article of the week as soon as possible...

However, this week's article is unique and well worth the wait. It is by Elder Jeffrey R. Holland, entitled "The Ministry of Angels," given at this last General Conference in October 2008. A few weeks ago I featured one of his talks in the article of the week. Once again, hearing Elder Holland speak enhances the experience so here is the link to the video. I don't know how to embed videos off the Church website or perhaps it's not possible, but you can find this talk under the heading "Saturday Afternoon Session."

With the restoration of the priesthood of Aaron, or the Aaronic Priesthood, by John the Baptist to Joseph Smith and Oliver Cowdery, came the keys of the ministering of angels, and of the gospel of repentance, and of baptism by immersion for the remission of sins (see D&C 13). Repentance and baptism are straightforward and with those who hold the Aaronic Priesthood have the power and authority to baptize by immersion for the remission of sins. The phrase that is usually left alone and often misunderstood is "the keys of the ministering of angels." I've been in Sunday school classes once in a while where the meaning of ministering of angels has been discussed, but I've never heard anything concrete from a General Authority. This talk defines ministering angels very well and very clearly; Elder Holland defines the ministering of angels as "rich doctrine and rich history."

I love this talk and I am grateful for the angels in my life, both the heavenly and the mortal kind. I know that God watches out for us and does so as He sees fit, in His own manner.

Jeremy

No comments:

Post a Comment