March 01, 2009

The Purifying Power of Gethsemane

I only have a few words introducing this talk. "The Purifying Power of Gethsemane" is the most powerful talk I have ever heard; Elder McConkie gives such a powerful witness of the Savior and of the power of His great atoning sacrifice.

Included below are the videos of this talk and I strongly urge each of you to watch this talk as well as read it. Feel free to follow along with the words or just read to words later, but I encourage you to watch the videos and listen to Elder McConkie's voice. Do not worry about the words he speaks so much as the feelings you get while he speaks. Elder McConkie was an apostle of God and his testimony rings true. The Spirit testifies to the hearts of those who listen to this talk with an open mind and a desire to know the truth. I've listened to this talk a handful of times and each time I get the reaffirming feeling that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of the Living God, that Jesus did, in fact, suffer both in the Garden of Gethsemane and on the cross on Calvary.







Elder Bruce R. McConkie was called to be an apostle 12 October 1972. He gave this talk in the April 1985 General Conference and then passed away less than two weeks later.

Bruce R. McConkie was an apostle of the Lord. He spoke the words God gave him. Jesus Christ is our Savior, I am eternally grateful for the infinite virtue of His great atoning sacrifice. Although I do not fully understand how, I do know that we are cleansed from sin through the Atonement and through our strivings to become like Him. All that is wrong in the world is made right through the Atonement. Listen to the words of His apostle. Feel the Spirit testify to you that the words Elder McConkie speaks are true. Act on those promptings and feelings.

Jeremy

2 comments:

  1. great blog, jeremy. Way to take the bretherens advice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is also one of my all time favorite conference talks. To this day the final remark is one of the most powerful and beautiful testimonies I have ever heard. In print, if I may: "And as pertaining to Jesus Christ, I testify that he is the Son of the Living God who was crucified for the sins of the world. He is our Lord, our God, and our King. This I know of myself independent of any other person. I am one of his Witnesses. And in the coming day I will feel the nail marks in his hands and in his feet and shall wet his feet with my tears. But I shall not know any better then than I know now that he is God's almighty Son and he is our Savior and Redeemer and that Salvation comes in and through his atoning blood and in no other way."

    ReplyDelete