May 12, 2009

Daughters of God

This past weekend I went home for Mother's Day. My brother just returned from his mission and Sunday was the first Mother's Day that my mother has had all of her kids together in five years since; she was thrilled. Also, since my brother has been gone for two years, many of my extended family members were present including both of my grandmothers and my great-grandmother. All of my father's siblings were there and I don't know the last time my grandma had all of them together. Sunday was a blessing to all present.

I realize that there is a holiday or a day set apart for just about everything, from Christmas to Thanksgiving to New Years, to the 4th of July to cheescake day to talk-like-a-pirate day. Most of these holidays are insignificant and only few holidays receive great attention and time off from work to spend with our families. However, in my experience Mother's Day is one of the more importnant celebrations and is never overlooked. Mothers are special; they fill a divine and unique role that only women can fill. Mothers are daughters of God and God gave them the specific role of wife and mother because He knows that only His daughters can fill those roles, there are no better substitutes.

In light of our recent celebration of Mother's Day, the article this week is entitled, "Daughters of God," and is about the essential and eternal role of motherhood.

Elder M. Russell Ballard gave this talk at a General Conference one year ago and explains the roles of mothers which sometimes are confused in our day and age. He gives advice to mothers that helps them fulfill their divine role. He also teaches those of us who are not mothers about the demands that our mothers experience in an effort to help us be more appreciative of our mothers and wives and understand the ways we can and should help them.

In addition, here is a video recently published by the Church.



I love my mother. As time goes on, I understand more and more just how wonderful she is and how much I didn't realize it growing up. Mothers are one of our greatest blessings from God. May we each be a little more grateful of our mothers and helpful to them.

Jeremy

No comments:

Post a Comment