April 14, 2010

He Is Risen!

Last Easter I had the opportunity to attend a Lutheran Easter service in the small town of Nordlingen, Germany. The experience was unique and caused me to contemplate a lot about priesthood authority.

This year I was once again in Germany but this time I had the opportunity of attending an English broadcast of General Conference in downtown Frankfurt with a good friend. I loved the experience; it reminded me of watching conference on my mission and I love that the Church feels the same no matter where in the world you are.

One of my favorite sessions of General Conference is the Sunday Morning session because the prophet traditionally speaks during this session. This most recent conference proved to be no different and President Thomas S. Monson gave a powerful Easter sermon on death and the Atonement entitled, "He Is Risen!" Here are the links to Windows Media Player and Quicktime player.

President Monson spoke about how death is our universal heritage and his statement of purpose was this:

"This glorious Easter morning I’d like to consider Job’s question—“If a man die, shall he live again?”—and provide the answer which comes not only from thoughtful consideration but also from the revealed word of God."

I love how he talked about the purpose and meaning of life and how he explained that 'in our hour of deepest sorrow, we can receive profound peace from the words of the angel that first Easter morning: “He is not here: for he is risen.” (Matt 28:6)' I learned a great deal from this talk and the testimony of President Monson can apply to all whether or not you are dealing with the death of a loved one.

Read this talk. Easter is more than a holiday for rabbits and chocolate. Easter is even more than a time to merely remember or think about the life of our Savior. Easter is a time to really focus on the Atonement of Jesus Christ and realize more fully how His life, Atonement, death, and resurrection can bless our lives and the lives of our families for eternity.

Jeremy

No comments:

Post a Comment