March 13, 2011

"Abide in Me"

In 2004, Elder Jeffrey R. Holland of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles gave a talk entitled, "'Abide in Me,'" in the April General Conference. This talk is the article of the week this week and all should read it, member and non-member alike. He teaches that the command "abide in me" given by the Jesus Christ in the fifteenth chapter of John, "is the call of the gospel message to . . . everyone . . . in the world. Come, but come to remain. Come with conviction and endurance. Come permanently, for your sake and the sake of all the generations who must follow you, and we will help each other be strong to the very end."

He concluded, "Jesus said, 'Without me ye can do nothing' (John 15:5). I testify that that is God’s truth. Christ is everything to us and we are to 'abide' in Him permanently, unyieldingly, steadfastly, forever. For the fruit of the gospel to blossom and bless our lives, we must be firmly attached to Him, the Savior of us all, and to this His Church, which bears His holy name. He is the vine that is our true source of strength and the only source of eternal life. In Him we not only will endure but also will prevail and triumph in this holy cause that will never fail us."

Elder Holland is an apostle of Jesus Christ. His testimony can help us know how to come unto Jesus Christ and develop the resolve to abide in our Savior that we may have eternal life.

Jeremy

1 comment:

  1. ABIDE IN ME

    Jesus was very clear in what we must do in order to have Him ABIDE in us and we in Him.

    He left this command for us in John 6:53-57, and it is the only place in Holy Scripture in which you will find it:

    53 " Truly, truly, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of man and drink his blood, you have no life in you (the taken away branch);

    54 he who eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up at the last day.

    55 For my flesh is food indeed, and my blood is drink indeed.

    56 HE WHO EATS MY FLESH AND DRINKS MY BLOOD ABIDES IN ME, AND I IN HIM.

    57 As the living Father sent me, and I live because of the Father, so he who eats me will live because of me."


    What does "Truly, truly" mean to you in verse 53? What does "unless" mean?

    The body lives because it receives real food sustenance. Starve the body and it will die.

    Just as the body needs real sustenance, so does the soul, else it will not bear fruit.

    The soul lives by real Divine sustenance, the true presence of Jesus Christ in the Holy Eucharist.

    ReplyDelete