May 01, 2011

The Brilliant Morning of Forgiveness


Recently I have been reading the book The Miracle of Forgiveness by President Spencer W. Kimball (1895-1985), twelfth prophet in this dispensation. I haven't finished reading it yet but it's really good and I recommend it to anyone.

To go along with the principles taught in that book, I chose an article this week entitled, "The Brilliant Morning of Forgiveness," by President Boyd K. Packer from the November 1995 Ensign (18). President Packer teaches very beautifully the principles and doctrine of repentance, emphasizing that when we truly and sincerely repent, we have the promise from the Lord that we are forgiven and He will no longer remember our sins. Consider the Lord's words from His Holy Scriptures:

“Behold, he who has repented of his sins, the same is forgiven, and I, the Lord, remember them no more.” (D&C 58:42)

“I, even I, am he that blotteth out thy transgressions for mine own sake, and will not remember thy sins.” (Isaiah 43:25)

“I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more.” (Jeremiah 31:34)

“For I will be merciful to their unrighteousness, and their sins and their iniquities will I remember no more.” (Hebrews 8:12; see also Hebrews 10:17)

Above are examples of the promises extended to all who repent and return to the Lord. The scriptures speak much on the wonderful and hopeful doctrine of repentance and forgiveness, for our goal is to overcome sin and transgression, master temptations, and become cleansed through the Atonement of Jesus Christ.

I know that the Lord forgives us when we follow the right steps to repentance. The Atonement makes up for all of our shortcomings as we strive to come unto the Savior and be perfected in Him. The words of the Lord through His servant Boyd K. Packer are comforting and hopeful and the promises of the Lord are real. Do not let yourself be weighed down by the effects of sin any longer. The road out is uphill but there are people along the way to help.

The Lord loves you and desires your success.

Jeremy

1 comment: