July 14, 2011

The Atonement for All


Yesterday at church we had what is called fast-and-testimony meeting. The first Sunday of every month the members of the Church fast for 24 hours for a special purpose, a purpose personal to each person, and at church Sacrament meeting is open to whomever that wants to stand and share their testimony of the Savior and His gospel.

I wish to share with you my experience in fast-and-testimony meeting yesterday because I wish that each one of you could have been there. The testimonies shared were all so diverse, so different. Some simply testified of the Savior and of their gratitude for His love and Atonement. Some spoke agenerally of trials in their own lives and of how they knew that the Lord was helping them and that all would be alright. And some spoke of specific troubles in their lives, drinking or drug problems, periods of inactivity in the Church, problems at home, and everything in between.

As I sat in the congregation and listened to each of my peers--each one a child of God--share how the gospel of Jesus Christ and His Atonement play an active role in each of their lives, my testimony of the gospel and of the Savior grew also. I came to realize more fully how the gospel of Jesus Christ truly is applicable and helpful to everyone and in every situation. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is true because it contains the fulness of the gospel of Jesus Christ, set forth in the Bible and the Book of Mormon. The Church is lead by a living prophet and twelve apostles, Jesus Christ Himself being the chief cornerstone.

Although Jesus Christ does not simply take away all of our trials from us, He does soften the effect and help us be happy in this life. Tests and trials are an important part of our lives and the Lord does not leave us comfortless and directionless as we experience these opportunities for growth. The Atonement of Jesus Christ is real and is active in each of our lives if we but come unto Him and follow in His way.

Jeremy

1 comment:

  1. I recently started reading more talks about the atonement and have enjoyed relearning things I thought I already knew. I don't know if you have ever taken a class from Bro David Ward but he taught me that the hardest thing for one to learn is the thing one thinks one has already learned. Not that I felt like I had learned all there was to learn about the atonement but some of the things I was getting were things I thought I had already learned. Testimony meeting is a great time to learn things you thought you already learned! I'm glad you enjoyed yours this month :)

    ReplyDelete