October 14, 2011

How can I know for myself that what you teach is true?

This is part ten of a ten-part post. Elder Cuthbert of the First Quorum of the Seventy suggested ten questions which members of any church might ask our missionaries or any other member of the Church.


Question number ten: How can I know for myself that what you teach is true?

Elder Cuthbert's answer:

To all who ask this question, the promise found in the Book of Mormon is powerful, true, and of eternal significance.

“And when ye shall receive these things, I would exhort you that ye would ask God, the Eternal Father, in the name of Christ, if these things are not true; and if ye shall ask with a sincere heart, with real intent, having faith in Christ, he will manifest the truth of it unto you, by the power of the Holy Ghost.

“And by the power of the Holy Ghost ye may know the truth of all things.” (Moro. 10:4–5.)

Yes, my dear inquiring friend, we will add to the truth you have, for God speaks again through prophets. He has revealed himself to man in modern times. It is possible for families to be forever, for God has restored the sacred temple ordinances for the living and the dead. Furthermore, he has given us a health law, a welfare program, and a missionary system. He has revealed the purpose of life and has given us the Holy Ghost that we might testify to others and know for ourselves that this is the living Church of the living Christ, and that he speaks through a living prophet, even our beloved President Spencer W. Kimball. I so testify, in the name of Jesus Christ, amen.

My testimony:

I do not have much to add to that which Elder Cuthbert has said. Ponder the things that you have read and then do as Moroni exhorted in the Book of Mormon, that is, ask God if these things are true.

I know that if you ask with a sincere heart, with real intent, having faith in Jesus Christ, the Holy Ghost will testify to your heart that these things are true. You can know the purpose of life. You can know how to be successful. You can know how to be truly happy. You can know how to ensure that your family relationships are eternal.

Try it. The blessings are indescribable.

Jeremy

1 comment:

  1. I add my witness to the things my brother and Elder Cuthbert have said. You can know that The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is true. We have a loving Father in Heaven who desires for us to be truly happy. The things of the world do not bring happiness. Knowing the truth and living the truth brings happiness. Pray and you will find the truth. Ask and ye shall receive. I know these principles to be true.

    Exercise your faith and you will see miracles.

    Zachary

    ReplyDelete